Sheppard Pratt Historic Gatehouse
Henry Adams provided the MEP engineering design to restore the historic 2,050 GSF gatehouse. Since the 1860s, the gatehouse had served as the primary entranceway to the hospital and now functions as a guesthouse for visiting staff and lecturers.
Previously, the gatehouse functioned as the hospital's primary entrance up until 2001. Vehicles drove in via Charles Street and through the arched gate onto the hospital grounds. Increased vehicle traffic put stress on the building and a separate entrance road was constructed next to the building. For two years, workers labored to restore and renovate the gatehouse, which is one of only two listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The hospital was founded in 1853.
Visitors (guest lecturers, prospective staff members, and visiting physicians) will be offered the opportunity to stay in the gatehouse instead of a local hotel. The first floor (which is divided by the old roadway into two halves) features a kitchen, living room, and dining room for the gatehouse guests. While upstairs, there are three bedrooms each with full a bathroom.
|Sheppard Pratt Health System