College of William & Mary, Brafferton
Henry Adams first worked with the College of William and Mary to provide a feasibility study, and then completed design for the award-winning restoration and renovations of the 5,000 SF Brafferton, and neighboring Brafferton Kitchen. Both structures are located in the historic core of the college campus.
The Brafferton, originally constructed in 1723, underwent its last major renovation in 1932 and currently serves as the offices of the President and Provost of the College. The Brafferton is the third oldest existing collegiate building in the country.
The design includes the preservation/rehabilitation of exterior materials and finishes on both the Brafferton and Brafferton Kitchen. On the interior of the Brafferton, spatial reconfigurations on the basement level and third level help the building meet current program requirements. The first and second levels will remain as restored in 1932, historically representing what (substantially) existed in 1723.
The Brafferton Kitchen was made fully accessible, including accessible toilet facilities, so the building can be used as an alternative office and meeting location in lieu of accessibility renovations within the Brafferton which would have significant adverse impact on the historic fabric.
The project was accomplished following the College’s Facilities Management Technical Standards and is a prime example of our ability to understand MEP systems developed many years ago and how to integrate the old with the new.
In October 2014, our Brafferton project was awarded the Gabriella Page Preservation Award by Preservation Virginia. The award is given to outstanding preservation projects.
|Owner||College of William & Mary|