Henry Adams provided the MEP engineering design for the LEED Gold $45M, 65,000 SF redevelopment of the 3-story Grimke School into a mixed-use building. The project includes expanded/additional exhibition spaces for both the African-American Civil War Museum and CulturalDC.
First built in 1887 and originally called the Phelps School, the Grimke School was renamed in 1934 after Archibald Grimke. The school building is designated as a contributing building to the U Street Historic District and has since been converted to various office buildings throughout its existence. The school building was vacated in 2013. The Grimke School redevelopment site includes the 130-year old school building, the gymnasium that currently houses the African American Civil War Museum (AACWM), as well as a small parking lot.
The current building houses the African American Civil War Museum. Once redevelopment is complete, a brand new 11,000 SF building for the museum will be implemented. 4,000 SF of cultural use space administered by CulturalDC will also be added onto the building as a new addition. A four-floor addition to the building will also take up 1,325 square feet of existing courtyard space.
The mechanical scope includes HVAC and associated building controls, as well as plumbing which includes sanitary, vent, water, gas, and fire suppression. The electrical scope includes power, lighting, fire alarm, and communications (including voice and data).
|Architect||Torti Gallas Urban Inc.|